Saturday, February 4, 2012

Week Update

I have been interning all week and am learning a lot. I performed some calls on monday, but I mostly greeted walk-ins. The number of walk-ins is astonishing. We have people coming in everyday at all hours of operation ready to schedule one-on-ones   and sign up for volunteering opportunities.

The atmosphere around the office is infectious, everyone is working very hard on the campaign and we are gaining new enthusiastic volunteers.  One such volunteer is Vilma N. Fry,  she is going to be a spring fellow and has already worked on a presidential campaign.

Wilma worked on Bill Clinton's 1992 campaign and had many stories to share. I was very excited to meet someone who has already gone through this experience and was eager to ask questions. Wilma was able to head Clinton's press core for one of his many debates in New York and she even attended one of his fundraisers.

Along with phone banking I have also been given the task of data input. If data is not added into the system then it didn't happen. According to Victoria "You can hold an event with 60 people and if those 60 people are not written down and added to the system it's as if it didn't happen." I can add data very quickly making me the data master.

I was also given the task to making sign up sheets for our events and to hang them on the wall. It sounds childish but I was excited to make posters and be creative. Many of our volunteers are coming up with ideas to decorate our office to make it more inviting. The photo above is of a poster made by Wilma; allowing everyone who walks into our office to write why they support Obama.

No comments:

Post a Comment